Web Content Management System Integration
Web Content Management (WCM) systems play an integral role in a cross-media publishing strategy, helping you efficiently publish information to the Web — whether by easily posting new content or updating existing content — so you can maintain an effective Web presence.
To maximise the success of your Web efforts within the context of your cross-media publishing requirements, your Web content management system should be fed new and updated content by your publishing system.
Did You Know?
WCM systems help you manage the content on your Web site by providing tools for creating a site structure, building individual pages, creating navigation schemes, verifying links, and many other capabilities that reduce the time and complexity of Web site creation and maintenance.
How Quark Publishing Platform Feeds Content to Your WCMS
Quark Publishing Platform provides a cross-media publishing platform that connects to your Web content management system through an out-of-the-box integration with Drupal™ Web Content Management System. If you are using a different WCM system, then you or your systems integrator can use the source code from our Drupal integration as a guide to build your own.
The transfer of content from Quark Publishing Platform to your WCM system is a multi-step process that you can trigger either manually or automatically (based on an event such as a change in status to "approved," or according to a schedule).
The steps that Quark Publishing Platform performs are:
- Start with XML; because the WCM needs XHTML, the system either starts with the XML you originally created, or it extracts XML from your print layout in QuarkXPress or your article in Quark Publishing Platform.
- Transform XML to XHTML using a mapping you create.
- Adjust the file path for images to remove any path dependencies (automatic if you're starting with QuarkXPress projects or articles).
- Convert images to a Web-friendly format.
- Package all XHTML and images in a single .zip package.
- Transfer the .zip package to the correct location within Drupal, images to their designated folder and the XHTML file to its folder; you can direct the content to a staging server or to a live server, and you can choose whether to create new pages or refresh existing pages.
Other WCM systems involve the same steps as those listed above; you need to change only step 6 for a different WCM.
Quark Publishing Platform provides automated Web publishing capabilities and also integrates with Microsoft SharePoint, providing all of your corporate and publishing assets to the Web team and making Web assets available to everyone in your organisation.
You can use Quark XML Author to create XML content for the Web, and integrate it with SharePoint to make your XML content available not just for Web but for other formats as well.