Creating design-rich, interactive content for the Blio e- Reader in QuarkXPress
But in a commercial light, designers are challenged to combine their creative instincts with the needs of the business and consistent use of brand elements, and they are often burdened by needing mutiple software applications to bring their visions to life. This challenge becomes more complex as page layout evolves to encompass more complex dimensions — not just because of the Web, but also because of new digital media such as eBooks, smartphones, and tablets such as the iPad™.
Page Layout in a Cross-media World
Page layout has changed dramatically in the past few years.
Traditionally, page layout was about arranging design elements and content for printed pages to emphasise a message, make it more understandable, or to establish or maintain a brand. One of the biggest challenges was how to make all the content fit on a printed page bound by limited real estate.
But the emergence of new media — from the Web to interactive eBooks, smartphones, and the iPad — has fundamentally changed the nature of page layout. While fitting static content on a finite page used to be a primary challenge for print layouts, today the task demands that designers incorporate scrolling Web pages, interactivity, sound, animation, movies, slide shows, and other elements that produce multiple dimensions and unlimited depth for a single page — changing the notion of page layout altogether.
To fully use all of the layout options now available — and build portfolios that reflect the skills employers require — designers need tools that give them the best design functionality appropriate for each layout type. Ideally, they should be able to use one tool and maintain one source of information so that they can make one change and have it automatically reflected in all layouts.
Page Layout for Print, Web, and Digital
QuarkXPress is professional page-layout and design software that provides designers with a single creative tool and the most comprehensive, feature-rich, and intuitive foundation for cross-media design. While comprehensive in its features and capabilities, QuarkXPress also is one of the easiest design tools to learn.
Using QuarkXPress, designers can create layouts and:
- Import files created in Microsoft® Word, Microsoft Excel®, Adobe® Photoshop®, and Adobe Illustrator®
- Import graphics, photos, text, videos, sounds, and other assets for multiple media and adjust them to fit their needs
- Combine with QuarkXPress design elements such as Bézier lines and shapes and advanced formatting functionality
- Apply interactivity for digital media without having to write code
- Reuse content and design across print and digital media; synchronise content and design across media by specifying common content and design elements that automatically change everywhere when you change the original
- Directly export designs as PNG, JPG, PDF, PDF/X, HTML, XHTML, Flash® (SWF), Blio®, and in other file formats — even for digital publishing targets such as the iPad and iPhone®
If you have your own distribution channel, you can export for the Web (Flash) or as your own app (for iOS). If you don't want to set up your own distribution channel, you can export as ePub or for the Blio bookstore.
Design professional pages. Build pages for print, Web, and digital publishing in one creative application. Export and publish more efficiently. And have fun.