The rapid introduction and popularity of full-colour, interactive smartphones, tablets, and other digital devices make Digital Publishing 2.0 the newest channel that professional publishers and corporations must reach. But how can you expand your publishing capabilities to meet new digital requirements, show leadership by publishing to digital devices early in the Digital Publishing 2.0 revolution, and satisfy your customers' growing expectations — without incurring significant time and expense?
"We are thrilled to be working with Quark to offer our independent publishers the ability to create structured content at the start of a book’s life so that it can be delivered across media platforms."
— David Steinberger, CEO and President of The Perseus Books Group
The Digital Publishing 2.0 Revolution
The first generation of digital publishing delivered the electronic equivalent of a book. But not all books. It was for books with layouts and content that were simple enough for the small black–and–white screens of e–readers. This means that digital publishing opportunities were pretty much limited to trade books and newspapers. Magazines and about 85% of books have not been able to reach these devices, nor have corporations or other organisations been able to tap into them, because they just aren't suitable for design–rich content and their displays are too limited. The introduction of iPad brought about a revolutionary change.
Digital Publishing 2.0 is marked by the introduction of an entirely new digital experience — one that promises an unprecedented level of consumer interaction with content through smartphones, e–readers, and tablets, as well as an equally engaging experience through computers.
Digital Publishing 2.0 technology delivers a full-colour, interactive multimedia experience through larger, more sophisticated displays in which consumers explore content (whether books, magazines, newspapers, product catalogues, advertisements, or other material) through clickable videos, sound files, and other interactive functionality.
The most important difference between Digital Publishing 2.0 and Digital Publishing 1.0 is that it offers publishers and others a variety of ways to distinguish digital content from traditional content. This means publishers can — at least potentially— develop new revenue models for digital experiences.
Challenges in Achieving Profitable Digital Publishing 2.0 Strategies
Despite the overwhelming attraction and rapid growth of digital devices, there are significant challenges in the rush to Digital Publishing 2.0 success.
- First, there is a need to create content with enhanced features, which can require complex programming and a lot of technical work. In addition, there is a need to create this enhanced content for multiple platforms, for the proliferating number of devices coming to market, and for changing media types. To do this cost–effectively, you need tools that let designers (instead of programmers) create enhanced content that will work properly across all platforms, devices, and media.
- Second, the enhanced content needs to work within an application that delivers all of the interactive multimedia functionality that consumers are going to expect — as well as functionality that surprises them.
- Finally, there is a need for distribution channels that make it easy for a customer to find, buy, and download your content.
Solution: Create Rich, Interactive Content for Any Platform, Any Media, Any Device
Quark's software can help you incorporate digital publishing into your cross-media publishing strategy so you can reach the latest digital devices, including tablets such as the Apple® iPad™ and Samsung Galaxy Tab®. And because of Quark's media-independent content strategy, our software protects you from continual shifts in technology as new devices come to market.
Our approach is to help you focus on efficiency and cost — so you can deliver your content to all channels, both today's popular digital devices and other channels — in a way that's not just operationally efficient but also flexible enough to meet future needs. Quark's approach to digital publishing has two key foundations:
- Platform independence: You cannot afford to create content and build applications for each platform, medium and device. So, instead of tying your information to a specific media format, Quark lets you create information in a platform- and media-independent form so that you can automatically publish to all the formats you need.
- No programming: Our software lets designers create compelling, interactive experiences without requiring programmers to do the heavy lifting.
Digital Publishing: A Core Capability of a Dynamic Publishing Solution
Our digital publishing capabilities are an integral part of our comprehensive dynamic publishing platform, which let large organisations improve productivity and achieve cost savings across their enterprise publishing environments. Using our dynamic publishing software, you can let anyone create structured XML content in Microsoft Word, automate the assembly of richly designed, personalised content to multiple audiences, and automatically publish to print, Web, and digital devices.
Learn more about our digital publishing solutions.