Did You Know?
To remain viable, you must overcome the pitfalls of traditional publishing and adopt new technology that can meet today's requirements and prepare you for the future. Dynamic publishing can get you there.
Dynamic Publishing – The New Era
To remain viable, you must overcome the pitfalls of traditional publishing and adopt new, dynamic publishing technology that can meet today's requirements and prepare you for the future. You must overcome:
- Manual design & layout — Your authors spend one-third to one-half of their time applying formatting, laying out pages, and squeezing paragraphs, wasting valuable time.
- Copying & pasting — With traditional publishing tools, you copy and paste information when you want to reuse it. This creates redundant copies of information that must be handled separately from then on, which adds extra cost to making updates and increases the risk of inaccuracies creeping in.
- Publishing to one media at a time — For each media format to which you publish (print, Web, or digital), traditional publishing requires a separate publishing group, which is too slow and too costly.
- Labor-intensive construction of personalised publications — If you're not providing personalised information in a timely way through all the media your audiences expect, you're undermining your ability to compete.
- Unnecessary translation costs — If you have duplicate information, you will pay higher translation costs.
The Case for Dynamic Publishing
Quark® dynamic publishing software can help you overcome these problems. Dynamic publishing shifts the process of publishing from slow, labor-intensive techniques to a flexible approach that automates the delivery of accurate, relevant, and attractive communications across multiple types of media, both print and electronic.
Dynamic publishing brings two fundamental changes to creating information. First, dynamic publishing applies formatting automatically instead of requiring authors and designers to hand-craft each page. This allows you to maintain a single source of information for all types of documents and all types of media (such as print and Web). You can make a single change and automatically update all affected publications.
Second, instead of creating information as finished publications, dynamic publishing helps authors modularise information by creating small components. Modularising your information provides several benefits:
- Personalisation — You can automatically combine information components in different ways for different purposes, which lets you cost-effectively produce tailored information in high volume
- Collaboration — Multiple authors can work on different components of the same document at the same time, which reduces bottlenecks and project time
- Review — Only those components that have changed are sent out to reviewers, which frees them from looking at information that remains unchanged
- Translation — Only those components that have changed are sent out for translation, which reduces costs and prevents paying multiple times to translate the same content
The expense reductions and productivity improvements from a streamlined and automated publishing process is how you pay for the cost of a dynamic publishing system. But the greatest benefits come from the impact of better accuracy, convenience, and appearance of your information on customer satisfaction, employee productivity, partner relations, and regulatory compliance.
Dynamic Publishing Capabilities
Quark can help you improve your publishing process even if you stick to traditional authoring tools such as word processing software
To achieve the most benefit from dynamic publishing, you need to capture your information in a structured XML format
By automating some or all of your page layout, you can reduce costs and time to market
You can start with a print layout and automatically generate other forms, such as Web and digital, or you can start with XML and automatically generate all three
You can make your information available on electronic devices, including desktops, laptops, notebooks, netbooks, smartphones, tablet PCs, and the iPad
Automatically produce tailored versions of your information for each audience, from an audience of one to several thousand
Smart Content is Quark's open, customer-configurable XML-based content schema. With Smart Content business users and subject matter experts can easily adopt XML in order to keep up with consumer demand for high-value communication
Workflow & Collaboration
The starting point for improving the publishing process is to help people work together and manage their tasks more effectively
Content Management System Integration
Quark integrates with leading content management systems, which provide a central point of storage, security control to prevent unauthorised viewing or changes, and version control to make sure everyone is working with the correct files
Web Content Management Integration
You can connect Quark Publishing Platform directly to your Web content management system (WCMS) so you can update your Web site automatically