Design Content for Tablet and Smartphone Apps
Think Beyond Ink™
App Studio is the leading cloud-based HTML5 solution for creating award-winning apps for the iPad, iPhone, Android and other mobile devices.
QuarkXPress works directly with App Studio to give you complete control over the design of your app content utilising the world’s most efficient environment for laying out content for multiple devices and orientations. Create digital magazines and newspapers, highly interactive eBooks, catalogues, research, financial reports, digital brochures and more.
How it works
- Create a free App Studio account
- Add a new App Studio layout in QuarkXPress for all the device sizes you wish to support
- Design your app content with control over pictures, layout, and typography
- Use the HTML5 palette to include engaging interactive behaviors such as slideshows, audio and video, hotspots and popups, buttons, scroll zones and zoomable images
- Upload your layouts to the App Studio cloud using the App Studio Publishing palette
- Get started for free and then upgrade to a paid publication plan once you’re ready to publish
- Optionally sell your content using in-app purchases and in-app subscriptions
*In order to publish an app either internally or to one of the app stores such as the Apple App Store or Google Play, you will need to sign-up for a paid developer account with the relevant vendor. The user is solely responsible for publishing apps created with App Studio including submitting app to the chosen app stores and any necessary approvals.
Export to ePub and Kindle
Convert Your QuarkXPress Layouts into Standards-Compliant eBooks
With the QuarkXPress® eBook Export feature, you can easily convert your QuarkXPress print files into well-structured, reflowable eBooks for popular reading devices such as the iPad®, Sony® Reader, and NOOK®, or submit to Amazon for the Kindle.
Use Reflow view to extract text and pictures from your QuarkXPress layout and turn them into text and picture components, then order and tag the content for consistent display in the Amazon Kindle e-reader and any eBook reader that supports the ePub standard.
What is ePub?
Electronic Publishing is an open standard for electronic books and Web publishing from the International Digital Publishing Forum (www.idpf.org). Introduced in 2007 as the successor to the Open eBook format, ePub documents are marked up in XHTML. Source: PCMag.com
How it works
- Use Reflow view to assemble and preview a reflowable version of the text and pictures in your layout or create a new project specifically for ePub or Kindle export
- Use the Reflow Tagging Palette to tell the components of your eBook what they represent (headline, caption, body, etc.)
- Optionally enhance with audio, video and hyperlinks
- Export a standards-compliant ePub or Kindle file, ready for submission to online bookstores
At a glance:
- Apply basic styling tags such as bold, italic, and underline
- Automatically export pictures in eBook-compatible formats, using the cropping and scaling from your layout
- Control the format and resolution of pictures in a reflow article on a global or picture-by-picture basis
- Add audio, videos, and hyperlinks using the new ePub 3 standard
- Configure a table of contents specifically for your ePub or Kindle eBook
- Store export settings for ePub or Kindle eBooks using output styles
- Specify the default story direction and rubi format for East Asian ePub eBooks
Efficiently Store and Synchronise Layouts for Multiple Media
QuarkXPress® lets you keep related layouts for print and digital media together in a single file, and automatically synchronise content between them. In the case of App Studio layouts, you can even maintain layout families that contain layouts for portrait and landscape orientations as well as for multiple device dimensions in the same project.
This feature has several benefits:
- You can reuse text and pictures from one layout in another, and automatically keep them synchronised. So for example if an address changes on page 5 of the print layout, it automatically updates in the iPad content too.
- You can keep related layouts consistent by forcing them to use the same style sheets, color definitions, and other resources.
- Instead of managing a folder of files for every version of a layout, you can keep every version in the same file, and all related files in a single folder.
At a glance:
- Synchronise just content, or both content and formatting
- Share content from one layout to another
- Export for several different media from the same file
- For layout families, delete, add and reorder pages and your changes are synchronised between layouts
QuarkXPress lets you keep related layouts for print and digital media together in a single file, and automatically synchronise content between them.
Synchronise Text, Pictures, and Formatting Automatically
With QuarkXPress®, you can use the same text or picture on multiple pages or in multiple layouts, and automatically synchronise it, with or without its formatting.
Whether it’s a tagline, a name, an address, or something else, you can make sure that if it changes on page 3 of the print layout, it also changes in the iPad® version. And you can choose to synchronise the formatting, or format the content differently in different places.
At a glance:
- Prevent inconsistency errors
- Streamline your workflow
With QuarkXPress, you can use the same text or picture on multiple pages or in multiple layouts, and automatically synchronise it, with or without its formatting.
Learn Once for Multiple Channels
QuarkXPress provides a toolset that lets you design and publish for a variety of output formats — including smartphones, e-readers, and tablets — without having to learn a different skill set for each, learn to write code or programme, or purchase additional software applications.
You can design for multiple layout types in QuarkXPress®, including print, eBooks and apps.
Automatic Image Format Conversion
QuarkXPress automatically converts image files into a format suitable for each medium — so if you’re using PSD, EPS, or TIFF files, you don’t have to manually convert them to an appropriate format for use on an iPad or worry about Retina and non-Retina displays. QuarkXPress will take care of it for you.
Convert Print to Digital Publishing Formats
With QuarkXPress, you don’t have to recreate a print project from scratch for digital devices such as the iPad — you can simply convert it. And once you’ve converted it, you can customise it for the new medium with videos, sounds, slideshows, and more. Best of all, you can do all of this with the same set of tools, instead of having to learn a whole new application for each medium to which you want to publish. With QuarkXPress, you can preserve your brand and always look professional, in print and in electronic media, all in a single tool.
Easily convert or share items between different media types, such as print, eBooks and apps.