NEW Xenon Graphics Engine
Bring Design to Life
The new state-of-the-art Xenon Graphics Engine takes full advantage of your computer’s processing power, rendering rich PDFs, Photoshop and TIFF images to give you maximum performance at the most appropriate resolution.
Designers no longer have to concern themselves with preview resolution settings and screen performance. Adaptive Resolution in QuarkXPress means the graphics are rendered in real time in the highest required resolution to match image zoom, crop and position. Text stays as text and vectors stay as vectors with no more low-resolution previews.
The Xenon graphics engine in QuarkXPress 10 has been engineered from the ground up to leverage the latest in processor technology. It utilises the dedicated vector processors within each core of your hardware and supports multi-threading, SSE3 and Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX), so you can be confident in world-class graphics performance.
Graphics look stunning in QuarkXPress 10 thanks to a native and deep understanding of image and vector files. Pan and zoom to see graphics come to life.
QuarkXPress 10 natively understands every aspect of placed PDFs within a layout. This includes fonts, vectors, colour spaces, layers, transparency, blends, and gradients. Rather than working with low-res PDF previews, PDFs are dynamically mapped to the Xenon object model and rendered in real-time. Not only does everything from text to radial blends look crisper, it outputs faster too.
Advanced Image Control
Control layers, blend modes, colour channels and clipping paths for placed Photoshop, TIFF* and PDF files all without leaving QuarkXPress using the new Advanced Image Control Palette.
*Note layer control is not currently supported in placed TIFF files
NEW HiDPI and Retina® Display Support
Now You See It, Now You Don’t
With a pixel density so high that the human eye can’t distinguish individual pixels, every element of QuarkXPress 10 has been optimised to take full advantage of high-resolution Retina displays.
NEW Modern and Optimised UI
Work Faster and Smarter
From the new full-screen view to auto-hiding dockable palettes, QuarkXPress 10 has been redesigned inside and out.
Next Generation Palettes
Intelligent palettes and windows that are aware of their surroundings mean you spend less time arranging and more time designing. Dock palettes to screen edges, turn on hiding, drag and drop, snap to windows and more. New shortcut keys enable even faster access and the enhanced Palette Sets feature makes remembering your favorite configuration a breeze.
Modern Development Environment
QuarkXPress on the Mac is now a native Cocoa app with a user interface that’s tightly integrated with the rest of the operating system including Finder, the Dock, and other Cocoa applications. Users benefit from new OS features and get a thoroughly modern, future-focused application with rapid support for new Mac OS releases and features.
Higher Contrast Colour Scheme
The higher contrast colour scheme has been applied consistently across the application to ensures icons, actionable elements, radio buttons, checkboxes and entry boxes stand out against the background and palettes and dialogues contrast with the design canvas.
Full Screen Experience
Expand your design environment to fill your entire screen with one click. When working across more than one screen, palettes can use one screen and your layout another. Set docked palette groups and auto hide for maximum real estate.
Use the enhanced Page Navigator to conveniently traverse through the page thumbnails and go directly to a chosen page. New navigation elements and command keys get you to your destination even faster.
The Measurements Palette is now the single most important destination in QuarkXPress. It replaces the functionality of the Modify Dialogue including the previous shortcut keys, enabling continued access to your layout while tweaking more than 100 layout settings.
NEW PDF Pass-Through Transparency
Let it Rip
Avoid flattening and create smaller, more nimble, device-independent PDFs. QuarkXPress objects can interact with placed PDFs and maintain the transparency throughout your workflow.
A deep understanding of PDFs enables transparency information to flow to final output. Placed PDFs can interact with native QuarkXPress objects without either needing to be flattened. Very complex transparency relations can be managed including blend modes and group transparency as well as how it composites from one object to another.
NEW QR Code Creator
Bridge Online and Offline Marketing
Generate vector Quick Response (QR) codes directly within QuarkXPress then style and colour them the way you want. Supports text QR codes such as URLs and SMS as well as vCards.
Design Content for Tablet and Smartphone Apps
Think Beyond Ink™
App Studio is the leading cloud-based HTML5 solution for creating award-winning apps for the iPad, iPhone, Android and other mobile devices.
QuarkXPress works directly with App Studio to give you complete control over the design of your app content utilising the world’s most efficient environment for laying out content for multiple devices and orientations. Create digital magazines and newspapers, highly interactive eBooks, catalogues, research, financial reports, digital brochures and more.
How it works
- Create a free App Studio account
- Add a new App Studio layout in QuarkXPress for all the device sizes you wish to support
- Design your app content with control over pictures, layout, and typography
- Use the HTML5 palette to include engaging interactive behaviors such as slideshows, audio and video, hotspots and popups, buttons, scroll zones and zoomable images
- Upload your layouts to the App Studio cloud using the App Studio Publishing palette
- Get started for free and then upgrade to a paid publication plan once you’re ready to publish
- Optionally sell your content using in-app purchases and in-app subscriptions
*In order to publish an app either internally or to one of the app stores such as the Apple App Store or Google Play, you will need to sign-up for a paid developer account with the relevant vendor. The user is solely responsible for publishing apps created with App Studio including submitting app to the chosen app stores and any necessary approvals.
Export to ePub and Kindle
Convert Your QuarkXPress Layouts into Standards-Compliant eBooks
With the QuarkXPress® eBook Export feature, you can easily convert your QuarkXPress print files into well-structured, reflowable eBooks for popular reading devices such as the iPad®, Sony® Reader, and NOOK®, or submit to Amazon for the Kindle.
Use Reflow view to extract text and pictures from your QuarkXPress layout and turn them into text and picture components, then order and tag the content for consistent display in the Amazon Kindle e-reader and any eBook reader that supports the ePub standard.
What is ePub?
Electronic Publishing is an open standard for electronic books and Web publishing from the International Digital Publishing Forum (www.idpf.org). Introduced in 2007 as the successor to the Open eBook format, ePub documents are marked up in XHTML. Source: PCMag.com
How it works
- Use Reflow view to assemble and preview a reflowable version of the text and pictures in your layout or create a new project specifically for ePub or Kindle export
- Use the Reflow Tagging Palette to tell the components of your eBook what they represent (headline, caption, body, etc.)
- Optionally enhance with audio, video and hyperlinks
- Export a standards-compliant ePub or Kindle file, ready for submission to online bookstores
At a glance:
- Apply basic styling tags such as bold, italic, and underline
- Automatically export pictures in eBook-compatible formats, using the cropping and scaling from your layout
- Control the format and resolution of pictures in a reflow article on a global or picture-by-picture basis
- Add audio, videos, and hyperlinks using the new ePub 3 standard
- Configure a table of contents specifically for your ePub or Kindle eBook
- Store export settings for ePub or Kindle eBooks using output styles
- Specify the default story direction and rubi format for East Asian ePub eBooks
ENHANCED Import Text, Pictures and Hyperlinks
from Microsoft® Word
Integrate your Content More Efficiently
Take Microsoft® Word documents with text, hyperlinks, and pictures and place them directly into your QuarkXPress layout. Text formatting and Style Sheets can be imported and hyperlinks are automatically added to the Hyperlinks Palette.
NEW East Asian Typography Features
in Every Edition
Maintain Total Control over Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean Layouts
QuarkXPress® lets layout artists work with East Asian typographical concepts such as vertical story text, hanging characters, punctuation character width handling, phonetic text reading (rubi), font sets, character grids, grouped characters, and intelligent font mapping.
QuarkXPress includes deep and wide support for East Asian typography. You can combine vertical and horizontal story text in the same layout, and group sets of characters (such as acronyms) to flow properly in vertical stories.
- Enable and disable East Asian Typography features in the QuarkXPress Preferences.
- Control the width of full-width punctuation characters depending on where they fall relative to the beginning of the line, the middle of the line, the end of the line, and other punctuation characters.
- Maintain perfectly aligned margins with predefined classes and sets of hanging characters, or configure your own classes and sets for different uses.
- Apply phonetic reading text (rubi) to text, and even automatically pull rubi text from the system dictionary for some languages.
When it comes to character grids, QuarkXPress is the best. You can define different page grids for different pages, or even for different boxes on the same page. You can precisely control baseline position, cell alignment, and whether guides appear on the topline, centerline, baseline, or for the full cell.
QuarkXPress is also smart about East Asian fonts. If a font is missing, the Font Fallback feature makes sure that a recognisable character displays, rather than a box. And custom font mapping rules enable you to properly handle projects that use UDA/VDA characters.
NEW Other Enhancements in 10
Layers on Master pages, print preview and missing font highlighting are just some of the timesaving features
to improve your design workflow.
Ensure your output settings are correct before you print with new thumbnail page previews in the print dialogue.
Full Screen Colour Browsing
Utilise the full size of your screen to add and edit colours in QuarkXPress. Browse rich Pantones in multiple views to choose the one that’s just right for your design.
Improved IME support
Correct entered text without having to retype the phonetic again by easily choosing different characters from the candidate list. Send text to Japanese, Korean, Chinese and 3rd party IMEs.
Make layers an integral part of your design with support for layers on master pages. Paste also now remembers layers and if those layers don’t exist in the target layout, QuarkXPress will create new layers automatically. Use the new palette preference to turn this feature on or off.
Key Item Space/Align
Key Item Space/Align makes it easy to align and space objects relative to a key item. Select your key item first and everything else will be relative to it.
Highlight Missing Fonts
It’s now effortless to find text that uses a missing font in a layout. You can even change the highlight colour in the preferences.
- OS X file extensions now added to QuarkXPress files
- Flip shapes horizontally and vertically
- Easily join, extend, and close open Béziér paths
- Apply Style Sheets after creation
- Support for Portuguese Reformed hyphenation & spellcheck
- Layout tab reordering
- Set default tool preferences from existing objects
- View persistent Unicode values in the Glyphs Palette
- Set separate trim view pasteboard colour for App Studio
- and more