QuarkXPress® is the most powerful and versatile page layout and design software on the market — and by extending it, you can make it even more powerful.
There are three main reasons you might want to extend QuarkXPress.
- First, you may need to add additional functionality that is specific to your business.
- Second, you may want to automate some aspect of QuarkXPress at an individual level to increase productivity.
- Third, you may want to implement enterprise dynamic publishing capabilities to provide a design foundation to non-designers who need access to rich, branded layouts — or add enterprise-wide automation and collaboration to your publishing process so you can reduce the time it takes you to complete a project.
QuarkXPress supports all three of these goals, through XTensions® software, AppleScript® scripting, and integration with Quark enterprise software.
XTensions: Add New Functionality to QuarkXPress
XTensions software lets you add completely new features and functionality to QuarkXPress through software add-ins. You can choose from the hundreds of XTensions modules that are available now (some free, others available for purchase from third parties), or develop your own to fit a specific need.
Extend QuarkXPress on Your Mac with AppleScript
AppleScript lets you control applications such as QuarkXPress with scripts. AppleScript is an intuitive, easy-to-learn scripting language that has been built into Mac OS® for more than fifteen years.
You can write a script to do anything from simple formatting tasks to complex database publishing. For example, you could easily write a script that alphabetizes paragraphs or formats texts. With a little more work, you can write a script that merges addresses from a database into a QuarkXPress letter template. It’s even possible to produce an entire catalog automatically by linking a QuarkXPress layout to a database of pictures and text.
The Mac OS version of QuarkXPress includes many examples of scripts that perform useful functions. These are available from the AppleScript menu in QuarkXPress. You can modify these scripts to suit your own purposes, or run them as-is.
Quark Enterprise Software: Extend the Power and Reach of QuarkXPress
To gain the full power of dynamic publishing, Quark offers several enterprise products that work with richly designed templates created in QuarkXPress. By combining such templates with content created by knowledge workers, you can allow content experts to focus on content and speed up the publishing process.
- Quark Publishing Platform: Quark Publishing Platform is a broad-reaching customer communication solution that streamlines and automates the publishing process. The modules of Quark Publishing Platform work together to automatically enable the assembly of content for different audiences, and publication and media types creating an end-to-end publishing workflow that speeds time-to-market, improves customer satisfaction and lowers costs.
- Quark Author: Quark Author is Web-based content creation software that, together with Quark Publishing Platform, enables business and IT leaders to streamline and automate high-value customer communications across every channel. The intuitive online authoring experience means subject matter experts – wherever they are – can rapidly create, preview, publish and reuse content.
- Quark XML Author: Quark XML Author is an add-in to Microsoft Word that enables subject matter experts to create semantic and metadata-rich content that can be reused, repurposed, and published automatically to multiple media and device formats. Quark XML Author integrates directly into Quark Publishing Platform as well as content management systems such as IBM FileNet Content Manager and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Quark Brand Manager: Quark Brand Manager is a unified content and brand platform for global marketing teams that automatically assembles brand-compliant marketing content. It's a cloud-based offering that includes brand resource management, dynamic templates, Web-based review and approval workflows, mobile sales enablement and collaborative localization with regional marketing teams.