Quark Celebrates 30 Years of Publishing Innovation
Quark Thanks the Design Community for Thirty Years of Success by Offering a Copy of GLUON iDropper Software to All QuarkXPress Customers
Denver - 11/8/2011 - Thirty years ago, Quark was founded in Denver, CO and, with QuarkXPress®, revolutionised graphic design and page-layout forever. Since then Quark has helped designers, media companies, and enterprise organisations successfully navigate the transitions from print to Web publishing and from Web to digital publishing. Today, Quark celebrates the past thirty years, the evolution of publishing, and its millions of customers around the globe.
Over the years Quark has advanced publishing by introducing innovative features and functionality that have continually set the stage for the next era of publishing. Here are just a few examples:
- Quark was first to incorporate WYSIWYG postscript into desktop publishing software which replaced manual layout processes and served as the catalyst for a revolution in publishing.
- Quark was first to bring to market color separations and trapping which streamlined the process of preparing layouts for press and created an immediate return on investment.
- Quark was first to offer very granular and precise control over typography, first to introduce the accurate placement of geometries – down to a hundredth of a millimeter, and first to offer multi-ink – the ability to specify a color based on a combination of ink and apply it as a single color.
- Quark was first to integrate vector illustration tools into page layout software, allowing designers to create shaped boxes.
- Quark was the first desktop publishing software vendor to allow for third-party extensibility, allowing software developers to create XTensions for QuarkXPress based on specific use cases and sell that software independently.
- Quark was first to allow designers to create content for print, Web, interactive, and digital media from one application and with the advanced functionality of layout spaces, synchronised text, Job Jackets, and composition sones.
- Quark XML AuthorTM was the first off-the-shelf solution to let Microsoft Word users create instantly valid XML while preserving the Word user experience.
- Quark was first, with Quark Publishing System®, to define the modern editorial workflow by integrating desktop publishing with a graphical user interface that encouraged collaboration and laid the groundwork for enterprise dynamic publishing.
- Quark was first, with QuarkXPress® Server, to combine the server scalability and availability required by the enterprise with desktop publishing design capabilities. QuarkXPress Server was also the first underlying technology for the Web-to-print application market.
- Quark was the first publishing software provider to define and enable “dynamic publishing” as the process of automating the creation and delivery of content from a single source to multiple channels, including print, the Web, mobile, and digital devices.
“For 30 years Quark has been dedicated to driving innovation in publishing. Our team is proud today to continue our work to improve the entire publishing process – from content creation to delivery across any channel,” said Ray Schiavone, Quark CEO. “We are happy to thank the Quark community of designers, enterprise organisations, education establishments, government agencies, and many others who have been an integral part of our longevity.”
As thanks for choosing Quark technology, Quark is offering QuarkXPress users a complimentary copy of iDropper™, a QuarkXPress XTension, and 30 percent off the ProPack of XTensions.
allows designers to add colors from any graphic appearing on their screen or choose from one of 9500 colors offered by Quark to the color list in QuarkXPress. iDropper can also copy box attributes from one box to another or to several boxes. An $89 value, current users can redeem their complimentary copy of iDropper here: for Windows – http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=213
Mac - http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=214
30 Percent off XTensions ProPack
QuarkXPress users can also celebrate Quark’s 30 years by taking advantage of 30 percent off ProPack 9 for Mac
, a bundle that contains 14 professional grade XTensions, from ProScale, Texterous and Spotcheck, to ProGrids & Guides, Greeker, and more. Just visit the Quark Store at the following links to purchase XTensions ProPack at a special price: UK: http://shop.quark.com/uk/p-19-gluon-propack-9.aspx
Founded in Denver in 1981, Quark’s vision was to create software that would lay the foundation for modern publishing. For 30 years, Quark has delivered on that promise. Quark’s dynamic publishing solutions are setting new standards in automated cross-media publishing by combining the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customised, intelligent communications across print, the Web, and digital media.
# # #
Quark, QuarkXPress, Quark Publishing System, QuarkXPress Server, iDropper and the Quark logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quark Software Inc. and its affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Contact: Valentina Moressa, firstname.lastname@example.org