Effective Date: May 24, 2018
Why We Collect Personal Information
The collection of your personal information enables us to give you convenient access to our products and services. In addition, your personal information helps us keep you posted on the latest product announcements, software updates, special offers and events that you might like to hear about.
Information Collection and Use
There are a number of situations in which your personal information may help us give you better products. For example:
- We may ask for your personal information when you’re discussing a service issue on the phone with an associate, downloading a software update, registering for a seminar, participating in an online survey, registering your products, or purchasing a product.
- When you interact with Quark, we may collect personal information relevant to the situation, such as your name, postal address, telephone number, email address business address, shipping address and other contact preferences; your credit card information and information about the Quark products you own, such as their serial numbers and date of purchase; and information relating to a support or service issue.
- We also collect information for market research purposes — such as your occupation and where you use your computer — to gain a better understanding of our customers and thus provide more valuable service or market our products and services.
- If you purchase products or services through Quark, then we may collect payment information, including credit card information, from you. We will protect all of your financial information, and we will never distribute or publicize your financial information except to the extent necessary to fulfill your order.
- We collect information regarding customer activities on our websites. This helps us determine how best to provide useful information to customers and to understand which parts of our websites, products and Internet services are of most interest to them and to market our products and services.
Publicly Displayed Information is Public
If you use a Quark forum, bulletin board or chat room on a Quark website you should be aware that any information you share is visible to other users. Personally identifiable information you submit to one of these forums can be read, collected or used by other individuals to send you unsolicited messages. Quark is not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums. For example, if you choose to make information, which was previously non-public, available by enabling certain user features, Quark will collect that information from your interaction and the information will become publicly available.
When We Disclose Your Information
Quark takes your privacy very seriously. Personal information that you provide will not be sold or rented to any other party and is only used by Quark and its suppliers in order to provide you with relevant information about our solutions and services available.
Within the Quark Group
With our Service Providers, Vendors and Strategic Partners:
There are also times when it may be advantageous for Quark to make certain personal information about you available to companies that Quark has a strategic relationship with or that perform work for Quark to provide products and services to you on our behalf. These companies may help us process information, extend credit, fulfill customer orders, deliver products to you, manage and enhance customer data, provide customer service, assess your interest in our products and services, market our products and services, or conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are also obligated to protect your personal information in accordance with Quark’s policies, except if we inform you otherwise at the time of collection. Without such information being made available, it would be difficult for you to purchase products, have products delivered to you, receive customer service, provide us feedback to improve our products and services, or access certain services, offers and content on the Quark website.
We cooperate with law enforcement agencies in identifying those who use the Service for illegal activities. Therefore, we respond to subpoenas, warrants or other court orders regarding information concerning any users. We will, at our discretion, disclose information if we believe that we are required to do so by law, that such disclosure is necessary to protect us from legal liability or that we should do so to protect the integrity of the Service.
Ways We Protect your Personal Information
Quark uses administrative, technical and physical measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
We use security measures, such as firewalls and Secure Socket Layers (“SSL”), to safeguard the confidentiality of our users’ personally identifiable information. Information we collect about our users is stored on secured servers. Doing so protects the confidentiality of your personal and credit card information while it’s transmitted over the Internet.
You can help us by also taking precautions to protect your personal data when you are on the Internet. Change your passwords often using a combination of letters and numbers, and make sure you use a secure Web browser.
However, “perfect security” does not exist. If you have any questions about the security of the Service, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Inspect, Change or Modify your Personal Information
Upon request, Quark will provide you with a readable copy of your personal information, although we will require proof of your identity before doing so. Quark will also modify the information that you have provided to us. Any such request should be sent by email to email@example.com.
Cookies and other Technologies
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and click stream data.
We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. Quark may use the information collected to market directly to that person.
In some of our email messages we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the Quark website. When a customer or user clicks one of these URLs, they pass through our web server before arriving at the destination web page. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked simply avoid clicking text or graphic links in the email.
In addition we may use pixel tags – tiny graphic images – to tell us what parts of our website customers have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches customers perform on our site.
Pixel tags also enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read. And they tell us whether emails have been opened to assure that we’re only sending messages that are of interest to our customers. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to a customer.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Legal basis for processing your personal information
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to enter into a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information). Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate business interests, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate business interests are. Common examples include collecting and storing information to document a sales transaction or a customer support request.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your data protection rights & choices
You have the following rights:
- You may request access to information that Quark collects about you.
- You can correct, update or request deletion of your personal information.
- You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information where it is technically possible.
- You can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information.
You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the marketing e-mails we send you or by contacting us at email@example.com.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. You may contact us with questions or to exercise any of these above rights at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Quark extends these rights to all users regardless of their location.
Our Companywide Commitment to your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate these guidelines to Quark employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company. In addition, Quark supports industry initiatives to preserve privacy rights on the Internet and in all aspects of electronic commerce.
The website has links to the sites of other companies. Quark is not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy policies of those companies.
Your Consent; Notification of Changes